Personal Injury Attorneys in Daphne, AL
You’ve been hurt because of someone else’s carelessness and negligence, and now you’re looking at a future of unpaid time away from work, medical appointments, and stress. What happens now? Luckily, you have options. With a personal injury claim in Daphne, AL, you can fight for the compensation you deserve after someone else’s negligence causes you harm.
Choosing the right personal injury attorney in Daphne is the first step in building a solid case. Let us help. Call Burns, Cunningham & Mackey at 251-260-38115 to set up a consultation and discuss your legal options.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
The field of personal injury law is extensive, covering many different ways in which one person can directly contribute to another’s injuries. Some of the personal injury cases we handle include:
- Vehicle accidents. Many personal injury claims arise because of vehicle collisions. Whether you were hit by a passenger car, motorcycle, bus, commercial truck, or other type of vehicle, you may be entitled to damages if the other party was negligent in their driving.
- Pedestrian accidents. Pedestrians are at great risk when drivers are distracted or otherwise careless. When a pedestrian is struck by a car, they often suffer serious injuries that require expensive and extensive treatment.
- Premises liability. Premises liability refers to the idea that a property owner is liable for what happens on their property. It’s not quite that cut and dry, of course, but property owners generally have to keep their property in a safe and well-maintained state. When someone slips and falls on another person’s property, they may be able to seek compensation.
- Animal bites. Animal bites and attacks fall under the umbrella of premises liability. Pet owners who do not keep their animals controlled and contained are often liable for injuries caused by their pet.
- Catastrophic accidents. A catastrophic accident is any type of accident that permanently changes a victim’s life. For example, if a victim is injured, becomes paralyzed, and requires lifelong care, they have suffered a catastrophic injury.
- Wrongful death. If someone dies as a result of a personal injury, their surviving family members may be able to sue for wrongful death.
- Nursing home abuse. When you entrust your loved one’s care to a nursing home or other facility, they are required to provide a certain level of care and consideration. When a staff member engages in abuse or neglect, the employer is often liable.
- Industrial accidents. Industrial accidents cause workers to suffer serious burns, falls, and machinery injuries.
A big part of any personal injury case in Alabama is proving liability. The person or party that causes your injuries is liable for the damage caused by those injuries. There are several parts to prove when it comes to liability:
- Proving that the other party had a duty of care to you
- Showing that they violated that duty of care to you
- Demonstrating that the violation led to an accident
- Showing how the accident caused your injuries
For example, consider a car accident. The other driver has a duty of care to you simply by being on the road. All drivers have an obligation to drive safely and responsibly. The other driver is checking their text messages while driving, which is a clear violation of their duty. Because of their texting, they miss a red light and drive into the intersection, striking your car on the side. A medical checkup directly ties these injuries to the accident, establishing liability.
Once you have proven liability, you can begin the fight for compensation. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may be able to seek compensation for losses that include but are not limited to:
- Medical bills and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Why You Can’t Trust the Insurance Company
If your main goal is compensation, you may wonder why you need a lawyer. The insurance company of the liable party has already reached out to you and indicated an interest in making things right via a settlement, so you don’t need anyone, right? Wrong.
The insurance company that represents the other party has their own best interests in mind, not yours. Their goal is not to reimburse you properly after an accident caused by their client’s negligence. It is to find inconsistencies in your story, demonstrate that your injuries aren’t as bad as you claim, and otherwise set their company up to pay you as little as possible. When they pay less, their profit margins grow.
For this reason, you should never communicate with the other party’s insurer without first speaking with a lawyer. Everything you tell them should be through an attorney. Your attorney can help investigate the accident, gather information on your injuries, and engage in negotiations with the insurance company.
How We Can Help
At Burns, Cunningham & Mackey, we handle a wide range of personal injury claims in Daphne, AL and the surrounding communities. We know that an unexpected injury can cause major financial devastation, and we don’t think you should have to take on the insurance company alone. Our goal is to help every client get the compensation they deserve.
While you focus on recuperating, we will investigate the accident, learn more about your injuries, and figure out how much money you should get for your injuries and losses. We then move on to negotiating with the insurance company.
Most cases close with a successful settlement that benefits both parties. If not, we are ready to take your case to court and hold the other party liable for the pain they have caused you. Whether you get your compensation via a settlement or a court award, we want you to have what you need to keep moving forward in life.
Turn to Burns, Cunningham & Mackey Today
Looking for an attorney for your personal injury claim? Let our Daphne, AL personal injury team help. To schedule a consultation and discuss your options in greater detail, call Burns, Cunningham & Mackey at 251-260-3815 or contact us online.