Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Daphne
Part of being a motorcycle rider is preparing for the extra risks you face when you get on the road. You already know that drivers are careless and unlikely to pay as much attention to your safety. Even when you do everything possible to keep yourself safe, you are still at the mercy of everyone else on the road. When you are involved in an accident, it’s important to protect your rights and fight for compensation by reaching out to an attorney.
At Burns, Cunningham & Mackey, we know a serious motorcycle accident can derail your life and leave you with lots of uncertainty. Call us at 800-574-4332 to set up a consultation and discuss your options.
Motorcycle Riders Are at Significant Risk
Motorcycle riders are at a significantly higher risk of being involved in a serious accident than drivers. This is partially due to the design of a motorcycle. Since you do not have a vehicle protecting you in a crash, you are obviously exposed to much greater risks.
Vehicle drivers are another factor. While some drivers are very cautious around riders and leave plenty of space, others are careless or even malicious. This is why so many riders are hyper vigilant about safety and caution. You cannot control other drivers’ actions, but you can make sure you are as safe as possible by wearing a helmet, wearing proper riding equipment, and taking other precautions.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents in Daphne, AL?
A wide range of mistakes or judgment errors can lead to a motorcycle accident. Some of the most common accident causes we see include:
- Left turns at intersections. When a driver is turning left at an intersection, they have to make sure they can clear the intersection without impeding anyone coming the opposite direction. This is much harder for most drivers when a rider is approaching. If they misjudge and turn in front of a motorcyclist, they may cause a crash.
- Opening door into the path of a rider. A driver in a parked car can cause a collision by opening their door in a rider’s path. These accidents often cause riders to be thrown from their motorcycles.
- Poor weather. Poor weather is a risk factor for everyone on the road, but riders are especially susceptible to slick roads.
- Failure to check before merging. Drivers may fail to check for riders before switching lanes. This often leads to sideswipe collisions that may push a rider into another lane or push them off their bike.
- Following too closely. Drivers often struggle to identify a proper following distance when they are behind a rider.
- Driving while impaired or fatigued. Impaired or fatigued drivers and riders can be a serious danger on the road.
Compensation for Motorcycle Accident Claims
If you are injured because of someone else’s negligence in a motorcycle accident, you could be entitled to compensation. What you receive depends on the circumstances of the accident and the skill of your motorcycle accident lawyer, but some commonly awarded types of compensation include:
- Medical bills and other medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Disability or disfigurement
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
In a collision, motorcycle riders generally sustain far worse injuries than drivers. Common injuries include:
- Broken bones. Accidents causing multiple broken bones can leave victims with long recovery periods, high medical bills, and a complete loss of income until they heal.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Traumatic brain injuries vary widely in severity and prognosis. Those with a mild TBI may suffer a concussion that heals without specialized care, while those who have a severe TBI could become paralyzed, lose their ability to speak, or struggle to live independently.
- Road rash. This is extremely common for motorcyclists, particularly those who are not wearing motorcycle safety gear. Serious cases of road rash can leave you at risk of infection.
- Ruptured gas tank fires can cause serious burn injuries. Chemical burns are also a possibility in some types of accidents.
- Spinal cord damage. Paralysis is a serious risk for those who suffer spinal cord injuries in a motorcycle accident. Even those who experience a full recovery often require months or years of treatment and rehabilitation.
How a Daphne, AL Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
After an accident, it is crucial to look out for yourself first. Motorcycle accidents can be extremely expensive for riders, and if you do not make the right choices during this time, you could be left covering those expenses on your own.
If it’s obvious the other party is at fault, it is likely that their insurance company will reach out shortly after the accident to offer a settlement. This isn’t a sign that they’re willing to pay a fair amount and move on. It’s a sign that they know their client was at fault for the accident, and they want to make sure they get you to sign a liability waiver before you find out how much your claim is really worth.
The amount they offer might seem fair. But the fact is that it is likely far too low to even be worth considering. People often underestimate how much their medical bills will be after an accident and how much time they will have to spend away from work. If you accept this first settlement offer, you run the risk of running out of money before you have even finished paying off your medical bills.
Hiring an attorney is a simple way to avoid this trap and protect your best interests. They can do a thorough, objective assessment of your accident, gather the evidence they need, and help you understand how much your claim is really worth. They will then enter into negotiations with the insurance company, where they will hopefully secure a settlement. If not, they will be ready to take your case to court and fight aggressively on your behalf.
Get the Representation You Deserve with Burns, Cunningham & Mackey
At Burns, Cunningham & Mackey, we are committed to helping every client get the compensation they deserve. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a motorcycle accident, don’t wait any longer to get the skilled representation you need. Call us at 800-574-4332 or contact us online to set up a meeting.